About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Birthday Plans

Scott turned 45 on Monday. He has been prepping me for the "big day" for weeks, continually reminding me at every opportunity that it is a milestone birthday . Talk about pressure to deliver!

I love my husband and I wanted to make the day as special as he deserves. I also realized that there was no way I would be able to meet his expectations. He isn't usually high maintenance and has never chattered about his birthday months before the date. I knew that he wanted something memorable, and I did not want to disappoint him.

I racked my brain for weeks as I tried to come up with the perfect present. The truth is, he just doesn't need anything right now. He has the computer system that he wants, and I bought the last of his accessories for Christmas. I was at a loss.

Walking into his computer room/ man-cave/ pit, I had an epiphany. The room was an absolute mess. Actually, mess is probably an understatement. I am fairly confident that the fire marshal would have condemned the space, although Scott did have a path carved into the junk between his chair and the door. I decided that I was going to provide Scott with the special space that he deserves. He loves playing computer games, and I suspected that he was simply overwhelmed by the hoarding ambiance. I was going to clean his computer room and buy him a nice chair (he had been using one of our kitchen chairs).

As soon as he left for work I got busy. I grabbed four garbage bags and entered the abyss. I quickly realized that I was going to need more bags--a lot more bags!

I am not sure how he accumulated so much junk in a relatively small space. I found stacks of burned light bulbs, a soiled diaper (obviously at least 4 years old since it was for a newborn) and the dinner plates and forks that I have been missing. Not everything I discovered was trash--I also found a few gift cards and a prosthetic liner!
Eighteen full garbage bags later, I was finally finished. I schlepped the trash downstairs and stashed it in the garage. My back, shoulder and stump were killing me by the end of the day. I suspect I am going to be reaping the physical ramifications of this gesture for the next few days.

However, his room was organized, sparkling clean and functional. Robby couldn't wait to show his Daddy the "super cool and clean" new computer room. It turns out that I gave Scott just what he needed for this milestone birthday--a place of his very own that he can enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I did that for hubby's 40th (7yrs ago) I turned the room into a nascar type room, complete with curtains, red shelves the kids painted for him, a futon in case he needed a nap or we had company--or as most often the kids and dog's lay on it and hang out. I even got throw pillow's with nascar on them and some poster's for the wall's. It's slowly changing, since it became the room I did all my school work--I added some me stuff in it lol--the pillow's were taken by the twins, the futon got a pretty cover on it and hubby was moved to a smaller desk so he is a bit cluttered now but he loved that room when we did it :0)

    ReplyDelete