About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Play-Off Hockey Widow

At the risk of offending NHL fans across the continent, I have to confess that I hate play-off hockey season. Actually, hate is probably too kind. I despise the season.

Scott is an avid Washington Capitals fan. He plans his evening activities around the hockey schedule during the regular season. I have become accustomed to inquiring about the schedule at the beginning of each week so that I can plan accordingly. During the play-offs, everything literally shuts down as he eats, drinks and breathes hockey.

Yesterday was gorgeous outside. I spent nearly five hours seeding, weeding and chopping. I finally came inside tired, hungry and a little grumpy. The blisters on my residual limb have healed but the area is still tender. I know that I'm stubborn and that I should take it easy. However, I am determined to have a nice yard this summer!

I sat down on the sofa next to Scott, slipped off my leg and mentioned that my stump hurt. I peeled off the liner and examined the tender skin that has formed over the blisters. I complained to Scott for several minutes about the rotation I feel within my socket when I'm doing yard work. I even mentioned perhaps investigating a rotation prosthetic if I am going to be doing increasing amounts of work outside.

Finally, after about five minutes of my talking I realized that Scott hasn't responded. I became silent and simply looked at him, waiting for a reaction or at least acknowledgment that he heard me. His gaze was glued on the television. I should have known better than to try to talk during a Capitals play-off game. Finally he looked at me and said "Yes, I like strawberry ice cream too."

I mentioned that my leg hurt, and he heard strawberry ice cream. I tried to find the connection, but I already knew the answer. I have become a hockey widow.

I am growing to resent that the mood of this household becomes dependent upon the drop of a stupid little puck on ice. When the Caps win, he is thrilled. When they lose, he turns into an inconsolable grump. I don't understand how an entire day can be ruined because a team--of which you are not a member--loses a game. Have I mentioned that I hate play-off hockey season?

**In case you are curious, the CAPS won last night, in double overtime. I normally would have been sound asleep at the time, but I was awake to hear the win. Unfortunately, I wasn't watching the game because I was busy dealing with our water heater, which apparently imploded. Robby was up all night coughing (again) and I'm feeling the lack of sleep. It's now only 7:30 but it has been a crummy day. **

1 comment:

  1. OMG, your life sounds like mine, the only difference is my husband is a sports JUNKIE. All sports, football, basketball, hockey (during playoffs), thank God, not as much baseball. I joke with others that he only married me because I have power tools. Yep, it's me in the yard, fixing up the house, etc....and working full time. Only saving grace for me is that my kids are grown (all except the one mentioned above!!)

    ReplyDelete