About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Sore, But Not As Sore As Scott!

Poor Robby woke up sick on Tuesday morning. He was coughing and had a fever. I debated about whether or not I should call the pediatrician, finally opting that the only thing I had to lose was a co-pay. I am so glad I decided to trust my gut and call!

My little guy has "crackles" in both lungs. He is on antibiotics and Tylenol to control the fever. Yesterday between the fever and coughing, he was miserable. Thankfully Daddy was home because all Robby wanted to do was "cuddle with Daddy and watch cartoons." I am good for everything else, but when Robby is sick, all he wants is his Daddy! (To be honest I'm a tad jealous that he doesn't want to snuggle with me when he is sick.)

Because Robby was sick and it was raining all day, I spent a lot of time cleaning the house. It is always so nice to sit back and look at a clean room! Unfortunately, I know that it won't stay this tidy for long--probably only until the antibiotics start working.

I hate that Robby is sick, but I was thankful for a calm day at home. The Zoo trip was fun but both Scott and I were happy for a respite. My bone spur/bursa was aggravated when I had to walk down the steep broken escalator at the Metro station on the way home. My body was pitched back at an odd angle, forcing my stump to rub against the socket with each step. With each step my limb felt like it was being burned. In case you are curious, there were over 200 steep, but shallow steps on that staircase. (Counting was the only way I could keep my focus away from the increasing socket pain I was experiencing.)

Although my bone spur/ bursa was irritated by the escalator malfunction, Scott is fairing far worse. Between his calf and thigh muscles, yesterday he was so sore he could hardly walk. He certainly didn't complain about lying in bed all day with Robby. My stump hurt, but I wasn't sore or fatigued. I guess all of my bike riding has paid off!

Robby had another fitful night sleeping. I'm hoping that the medicine begins to work and that he begins to feel better. After all, we have to get ready for the Easter Egg Roll at the White House on Monday! In the meantime, I suspect that Daddy will be more than happy to cuddle for another day.

1 comment:

  1. Peggy, my older son only wants his dad when he's sick, too. I try hard not to be hurt.

    ReplyDelete