About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Zoo Fun!

Yesterday morning I woke up in a fantastic mood. The sky was a brilliant shade of blue, the birds were chirping and Robby was happily munching on a breakfast cupcake courtesy of his Daddy. It was going to be a perfect day to tackle the looming yard work! I brought out my "to do" notebook and began to talk about my plans for the day.

Half way into going over my list, Scott asked me to leave the room because he and Robby needed to chat. Realizing that they were plotting, I left the boys alone. A few minutes later they emerged from the bedroom, both wearing huge grins. Robby quickly giggled that we were going to the zoo in the "big city."

So, my plans of working in the yard and around the house were squashed for an impromptu trip to the zoo in DC. I decided to put down my list and just go with the flow. Scott went to the store to secure picnic supplies while Robby and I researched the animals that we would be visiting. Both boys were so excited I couldn't be frustrated that my work plans were thwarted!

We dressed in our summer duds, lathered on sunscreen and headed to the zoo. On the metro we talked with Robby about the animals that he wanted to see. After all, the National Zoo has a huge variety of animals, ranging from Chinese Giant Pandas to elephants and snakes. With so many options, what did Robby want to see most? His destinations included the sting rays, fish and, of course the goats.

Halfway through the zoo we ended up renting a stroller for Robby. (Okay, he thinks we rented a "super big boy push cart" because we weren't in the mood for a meltdown.) The park is built on a series of hills and Scott and I were growing tired of carrying him. FYI, the sting rays are in the furthest corner of the grounds!

I suppose I'm so used to my leg showing that I fail to notice how much attention I get simply walking, especially in crowded venues. I would have missed the stares altogether but two women made their gawking entirely too obvious. They actually craned their necks and turned to watch me walk, meanwhile they walked directly into a series of cement trash cans.

After a wonderfully exhausting day looking at sting rays, goats and an elephant (which happened to be en route to said sting rays) we were eager to get onto the metro and head home. Unfortunately the train was packed, forcing us to stand for much of the ride. Thankfully we found seats- just in time for Robby to fall asleep!

Despite the metro ride experience, we had a wonderful day at the zoo. I am glad that my plans for working around the yard were sidelined for the afternoon. After all, we can always work today!

I also want to wish a Happy Birthday to my Mom. You are the best mother and Nana in the world. Thank you doesn't seem enough sometimes, but I appreciate everything you do for us. We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment