About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Heading to Ohio!

This morning we will be packing the car to the brim with assorted toys, suitcases and coolers. Judging by all of the accouterments that are being stuffed into our Highlander, our neighbors probably think that we are going on an extended vacation. In reality, we are only going to visit Grandma in Ohio for a few days. It never ceases to amaze me how much "stuff" a little kid needs when traveling!

Normally I would have had the car packed the night before our trip. Yesterday, however, I spent the entire day cleaning, doing laundry and getting prepared so I simply ran out of both time and energy. I worked too hard to get the house clean for the Icelandic film crew and I refuse to let it get ahead of me again! It was a lot of work, but I know that it will feel great to walk into a clean house when we come home. (Of course, considering that two college students will be house sitting for us, I am doubtful that our home will be clean when we return!)

Scott spent the day trying to get the car ready for our road trip. Our battery has been unreliable since last August when it left me stranded for the first time. Not wanting to have to jump the car in front of his family, he broke down and bought a new car battery. I'm thrilled that I no longer have to drive around with battery jumper in the back! With the battery changed, the tires properly inflated and the oil changed, we have been deemed "car trip ready" by our resident expert (and friendly neighbor) Mr. Bill.

This year we have divided the trip on the way to Ohio in segments. Scott was concerned that the eight hour drive would be too much for Robby. In reality, I think it is probably too much for Scott! I love my husband, but he is not a good road trip co-pilot. He becomes antsier than Robby on long drives. Last year I found myself fielding the dreaded "Are we there yet?" question from Scott more than my little boy.

Although Robby is the excuse for stopping and staying at a hotel, I have to admit that I'm happy about the decision. I used to love road trips before I became an amputee. Now that I wear a prosthetic I find that I become uncomfortable after about three hours.

My stump starts to ache in the socket when I sit for a long period of time. When I take off my leg, I can't find a comfortable position and the squirm fest begins. By hour five my back starts to hurt because both of my legs aren't carrying weight. Last year, by the time we arrived in Ohio I was not in good shape!

Today, we are going to drive to Beckley, West Virginia where we have a reservation at a hotel with a pool. Robby is looking forward to swimming and playing in the water all afternoon. Of course, that also means that we need to remember to pack both his life vest and my water leg. Let's hope there is room for all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment