About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

My Mom-cation

I have been spending the past few days on a vacation. I packed up Robby, threw some clothes in a bag and headed for respite, relaxation and fun in the sun. No, we didn't go to a beach or a popular tourist destination. I went to visit my mom.

Nothing is more relaxing for me than a visit with my mom. Robby is so comfortable at her house that it has become his second home. She dotes on him and seems always to have his favorite treat, cookie dough, in the refrigerator when we visit. She never complains about the hours she spends pushing him on the swing. I'm thankful for those hours because I get to relax and have some much needed "mommy down time."

In the evenings, we put on our swimming suits and head to the pool. Mom doesn't have a pool, but she does have the next best thing. She has a friend who has a fantastic pool!

Our little pool at home looks like a raindrop compared to "Nana's friend's pool." It is nice to be able to stand fully erect and have the water reach higher than my thighs! Robby has been so involved with swimming and splashing that he hasn't been jumping all over me to play "Angry Chicken." I've thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to relax in a pool without having a five year old pulling and pushing on me. It's not that I don't enjoy playing with him, but sometimes it is nice for "Momom Chicken" to chill out and rest on a raft!

I cannot possibly convey how good my limb feels in the water. Suspended in the water, the "disability" of my amputation evaporates. I am completely free of the stinging, stabbing or knotting sensations that frequently occur throughout the day. While I'm lucky that these sensation are not debilitating, they are a nuisance and bothersome. In the water, my leg feels light and normal. I wish I had a larger pool. I would love to feel "normal" more often!

After a few days visiting with my Mom, I feel refreshed and ready to tackle the world. Or, at least to tackle my house, which I'm sure has been turned into a bachelor pad in my absence. I've enjoyed my vacation from dishes, laundry, cooking and cleaning. Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. Thanks Mom, for letting me unwind and relax. You still know exactly what I need!

No comments:

Post a Comment