About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Robby's Work Day

Yesterday I had to go to my prosthetist's office to help with a patient. Since Robby was home from school for the holiday, I had a little companion with me. I am grateful that, on occasion, I can bring him with me when I need to work.

I'm always cautious when Robby accompanies me to work as I try to keep my roles of mother and employee separate whenever possible. I am acutely aware that no matter how cute and charming Robby can be, others are not always entertained by his insights and youthful antics.

Left no other option than to bring him along, I packed my purse full of various Nintendo games, snacks, and assorted army men and cars. Robby was also informed that, should he misbehave while Momom is working, his little world will come crashing down on him and he will lose not only privileges but also the majority of his toys. Appropriately warned, I buckled him into his seat and nervously drove to work.

Although I was apprehensive that "Robby Rotten" would materialize, he was nothing but supportive, understanding, and sweet. I am confident that there is no more sincere or committed cheerleader than my son when he witnesses somebody using their prosthetic for the first time. He began to jump up and down and clap when his new "friend" began to walk on his prosthetic knee. Robby's enthusiasm was contagious, and soon the entire office was cheering. It was a heartwarming to witness such an uplifting moment.

Yesterday could have been a disaster, but Robby stepped up to the plate and was well behaved. We were at the office longer than I anticipated and he never became needy or intrusive. I was proud of him--and almost felt guilty about threatening to confiscate every toy, pet, and cupcake in the house should he misbehave. I've decided that Robby either has the heart of an angel or I am very good at threats. I'm not placing bets yet on which one!

If you're interested (or killing time at work) feel free to check out the YouTube channel I've been putting together for my prosthetist. I am, by no means, a cinematographer. However, I am having a very good time trying! www.youtube.com/opc1media

No comments:

Post a Comment