About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, February 20, 2012

My No Snow Day

This past weekend was laid back and relaxed. I went to visit my mom on Friday but returned early Saturday afternoon in anticipation of the "major snow event" that was forecast for my area. Robby was over the moon about the prospect of waking up to a winter wonderland, and was nearly giddy planning for a full day of sledding fun and snowball fights. Finally, after no fewer than four attempts, we were able to convince him to go to sleep on Saturday night.

Sunday we woke up to bright blue skies, crisp air, and--to the disappointment of my little boy--not one flake of snow. Our projected 4.5 inches of fluffy white snow never materialized, and our yard was as barren and boring as it was on Saturday. So much for our day of snowy fun!

Needless to say I was in a grumpy mood Sunday. I was beginning to feel like the world was conspiring against me. I have been stressed about my sister, my jobs, Robby's school, finances, and just about everything else. All I wanted to do was play in the snow and forget about my worries for awhile. It sounds strange to admit, but I resented that I was robbed of my snow play date!

I was on the phone with my mom, explaining my theory about the weatherman lying to me in a rude and contrived attempt to ruin my weekend, when she interrupted my rant. Sometimes it takes a mom to bring everything back into perspective. Obviously the weather forecasters did not conspire to make me miserable; she offered another theory. Perhaps, just maybe, I was overwhelmed.

I've been so consumed with everybody else that I have forgotten about myself. My increasing work responsibilities combined with the worry and anxiety I have been feeling about my loved ones who are struggling have left me emotionally drained. I am typically strong but yesterday I broke down--over a lack of promised snow!

Instead of playing outside with Robby, I spent the afternoon tinkering around the house, taking a nap, and watching The Walton's marathon on TV. Typically I would have been working and cleaning all day in a frantic attempt to stay busy. Yesterday I stayed busy doing absolutely nothing, and I don't feel guilty about it. Okay, maybe I feel a tinge guilty, but I don't regret my decision to relax. I needed a break from everything for a few hours. It's amazing how rejuvenated I felt after a few hours of vegging out and relaxing. I really should do that more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment