About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

My Super Big Six Year Old!

Six years ago today at precisely 2:11 PM I experienced a miracle. My little boy was born, and my world was forever changed. I am, without a doubt, the luckiest person I know because I am Robby's Momom.

It is hard for me to fathom that today Robby turns six years old. Last night it occurred to him that he will no longer count his age on one hand. He was delighted, but I felt a small part of my heart break. I've toyed with the idea feeding him a steady diet of beer and cigarettes to stunt his growth, but I don't think it'll work.  I cannot deny it. My little guy is growing up, and I am helpless to stop it.

Although I don't want him to grow up so quickly, I can't help but feel proud of the young man he is becoming. He is compassionate, inquisitive, and empathetic. He demonstrates an awareness about the emotions and needs of those around him that continually leaves me in awe. I fully acknowledge that I am biased, but he is simply an amazing person!


This morning I will make our traditional birthday pancakes--this years chosen shape is from CARS. We will bake a cake in the afternoon and he has asked for steak, corn on the cob and cheese fries for dinner. I fully intend to spoil him today! After all, he will only turn 6 once and I want to make it a day he will remember.


Someday, many years from now, Robby inevitably will read the entries in this blog. (I have my posts in a bound hard copy, courtesy of my Mom.) Maybe he will read it during his own sleepless nights after he becomes a father? Or perhaps he will discover the volumes after I pass away (hopefully after a long life)?

Regardless of when, I know he will see me with a new perspective after reading about my struggles, worries, and successes. He might chuckle at his antics and become embarrassed through the documentation of his milestones, including toilet training and the transition to Kindergarten.  Most of all, I hope that he will understand how very much I love him.

Robby, every night when I tuck you into bed I tell you that I love you "the moon, the sun and all the stars in the sky." You are my greatest accomplishment and source of pride. I love you now and forever. Happy Birthday to my super big six year old!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment