About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Eve Surprise...


Merry Christmas Eve!

This year it has taken longer to embrace the Christmas spirit. Between Robby being sick and my injured legs, I've been more bah humbug than fa la la la la. All of that changed this weekend, and although our decor is more subdued than in year's past, I am happy to report that I am now saturated with the holiday spirit.

Saturday morning I woke up early and started baking cookies. Although I wasn't going to do any baking this year, I received a special request and I couldn't say no. My friend's son just came home from serving in Afghanistan and apparently my chocolate chip cookies were something that he has been craving during his deployment. Baking for my friend, my Christmas spirit was ignited just in the nick of time!

Despite hobbling, I fully enjoyed spending Saturday afternoon running around town picking up last minute gifts and supplies. Much to the chagrin and despite the glares of my fellow shoppers, I happily reaped the benefits of my handicapped parking placard. Scott and Robby seemed to have just as much fun staying at home and playing. In the few short hours I was gone, the two boys managed to completely trash our bedroom. Seeing Robby smile for the first time in weeks, it was hard to be mad.

Last night I had a difficult time sleeping. In a wonderful twist, my insomnia was caused by excitement rather than anxiety. I can't wait for Robby and Scott to wake up. Have you heard? Santa had trouble fitting a present in his sleigh! Apparently he made a quick and unexpected delivery at our house last night. I have been planning this surprise since before Thanksgiving, and I can't wait for them to wake up!

Last night after Robby was sound asleep, I tied a big red bow on the end of a long ribbon and tacked it on his headboard. The ribbon was looped throughout the house, leading him to a box adorned with an even larger ribbon under the Christmas tree. A note explaining Santa's delivery dilemma, is carefully taped on top of the box which is addressed to "Robby and Daddy." I can hardly wait for Robby to wake up, follow the ribbon, and discover the surprise!

Waking up at 2:00 AM on Thanksgiving morning will be worth it when I see the pair rip open the paper to discover the coveted XBOX 360. Both Scott and Robby have been shamelessly hinting for the game console since the summer. I have been steadfast in my refusal to get another gaming system, insisting that the Wii is perfectly adequate. Scott seemed nearly as deflated as Robby when I summarily squashed the XBOX dream.  (Although I strongly suspect that Scott knows about the surprise, spoiled by Google ads and internet search history.)

This morning will be spent with both boys hooking up and playing their new XBOX. While they are occupied with their new toy, I'm going to bake my favorite cookies and eat them while watching White Christmas by the fireplace. Our holiday is less hectic and chaotic this year, but there is something to be said for a laid back holiday.

I'll post Christmas morning pictures tomorrow after he wakes up. If tradition holds true, he will tear through all of the carefully wrapped and beautifully arranged presents in about 10 minutes, leaving a paper tornado in his wake.

**Update... here is the video of Robby unwrapping his present!**

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas, Peggy! May 2013 be a year of health and happiness for you, Scott and Robby. with love, Laura Jackson

    ReplyDelete