About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Poolside

Robby has inherited many traits from me, among them being the love of being in the water. While I would never categorize myself as a swimmer, mainly because I don't enjoy swimming laps, I can spend hours playing and splashing. Like me, Robby is a water bug and simply adores playing in the pool.

After the pool fiasco of last summer, I decided to abandon my dreams of pool ownership, instead  opting for a membership to our local community pool. We joined last week, and I can already tell that it was money well spent. Robby and I have gone to the pool every day and we have been having a blast.

Although I knew that we would enjoy going to the community pool, I was hesitant about joining. I am accustomed to the stares I receive when I'm wearing shorts. When I'm in a bathing suit, it feels like the gawking is magnified. I realize that much of this perception is the result of my own insecurities. Sitting objectively, I probably do not receive more glances than I do when I'm fully dressed. However, it was difficult to garner the courage to reveal myself in a swimsuit.

I continue to feel a surge of nervous energy each time I slip off my swimsuit cover, but it is becoming easier. It is oddly comforting to know that people are more shocked by my carbon fiber water prosthesis than the jiggle in my thighs and bum. Believing that they are staring at my leg instead of my body shape makes the experience less personal. It's odd that I can strut around with a cyborg-looking leg with full confidence yet I am flooded with insecurities and self-doubt when revealing my biological body.

My body image insecurities dissolve as soon as I slip into the pool. I suppose I feel concealed by the water, allowing me once again to be comfortable in my own skin. Once we are both submerged, Robby and I spend hours playing tag, going up and down the slides and engaging in his favorite pool activity--"Toss a Robby." Each afternoon I have been in awe of his seemingly never ending supply of energy! By the time we climb out of the pool, we are typically exhausted and famished.

I still wish that we had our own pool, but joining the community pool has turned out to be a fantastic decision. I have no doubts that we will be utilizing our passes on a daily basis. Maybe with all the exercise I'm getting by playing in the pool with Robby, I'll eventually become more comfortable with how I look in a swimsuit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment