About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Meatballs

Even when an excursion is a surprise, like going to the Fair this past Sunday, I always try to lay some groundwork. After all, trips are always more fun when I can build the excitement to a fever pitch level.  On Saturday evening Robby and I curled up on the couch and watched a show comparing various fair foods from around the country. I was hoping that watching the show would contribute to his enthusiasm when we took him to the fair. While he was interested in the show, one unfortunate segment profoundly impacted his impressions on the culinary treats sold at fairs. 

I wish I had a camera recording Robby's reaction when the show highlighted the unusual fair food selections in Texas. "Momom, did he just say fried bull testicles?" After I nodded, he became highly animated. "No wait a second. Are we talking about real testicles, like these?" Before I knew it he was standing in the living room with his pajama bottoms down to his ankles.

Pulling up his pants, I tried to explain that some people consider the testicles to be a real treat. This apparently is a concept that my little guy could not wrap his head around! He went sprinting down the hall, screaming for Scott, "Daddy, DA-DDEEEEE. Did you know that people eat cow balls at the fair!!"  Yikes, this was certainly not the hype I had hoped to achieve.

Although we desperately tried to redirect the conversation, Robby remained stunned and fascinated by this epicurean choice. In hopes of ending the discussion, I finally agreed to let him to enlighten Mr. Bill about the fair food. I was able to surmise that Robby told his friend as soon as he opened the screen door because I could see Bill begin to laugh from my front porch. 

Driving to the Fair on Sunday, Scott and I both drilled the point that they do not serve deep-fried cow testicles at our fair. Although we tried our best to convince him, Robby remained weary. The fact that the first pedestrian we encountered was munching on a giant meatball on a stick did not help our cause. Robby was convinced that cow balls were being fried and sold, even prompting him to talk with the ride operator. "Um, excuse me. If people want to get on here and they are eating a ball on a stick, I wouldn't let them on if I were you. They are eating cow privates, and that had to hurt the cow a lot."

We were at the fair all evening, but Robby refused to eat anything but french fries. He said eating anything else "wasn't worth the risk." I had him watch the show on fair food to build a buzz and excitement. Instead it resulted in us eating dinner at IHOP at 10:00 after the fair closed.  I am fairly certain that Robby won't be asking for meatballs anytime soon! So much for trying to whip him into  frenzy.

2 comments:

  1. An excellent and funny story, very well told! Sometimes I miss having a child that age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ihop was cheaper than fair food

    ReplyDelete