About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, August 12, 2013

Just Say NO?

I have come to the conclusion that I need to utilize one small, simple word more often. Although only comprised of two letters, refining my ability to say them together will simplify my life and would inevitably save me from hours of head banging frustrations. I am not just very good at saying "No," but I vow to become more adept and comfortable with it!

I agree to far too many favors and concessions simply because I have an aversion to "No." It isn't that I fear hurting somebody's feelings, but rather at times it is just simpler to agree and follow through with something instead of holding my ground. Unfortunately, it is only easier in the moment, and I spend every moment invested in the undesirable activity lamenting my participation. 

My schedule has been upset and redone more times than I can count because I haven't been able to speak up. Whether it be agreeing to a last minute visit or helping a friend with a yard sale, I always seem to be the one who has to rearrange her plans. I become frustrated with myself for agreeing and the requester for asking. Simply put, I am tired of always missing out on what I want to do!

I realize that this issue is mine and not my friends. Many of them seem to have no problem standing their ground when it comes to previous engagements. I wish I had the same ability to deny somebody something because it wasn't convenient for me. Unfortunately, I have a horrible track record of putting the needs and desires of others above myself. 

As I am getting older, I am beginning to prioritize myself. I am not feeling as guilty about taking time for myself, and I have been working to release some of my self-imposed pressures. I look at people around me and none of them seem to have an issue saying no. It isn't a bad word, and I should be able to employ it without guilt. I don't mind helping out and I'm always willing to lend a hand, but I do mind being a doormat. To add insult to my frustrations, nobody is at fault but me!

I have a lengthy and well formed track record when it comes to agreeing. I know that I'm not going to be comfortable saying no for a long time, if comfort is even attainable. But for my own sanity, I have to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment