About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Verdict...

As a Mom, I want to shield Robby from unpleasant experiences. When he is frightened or upset, I immediately want to comfort him. While I know that working through these emotions is a part of growing up, it is difficult to suppress my instinct to rescue him.

Yesterday was Robby's orientation to his new school, and we were both excited and nervous about the plans for the day. I did my best to stress the positive and mask my apprehensions, so by the time I parked the car in the school parking lot, my little guy hopped out of the car and eagerly ran towards the door.

Unfortunately, that was the extent of his excited bravery. As soon as we entered, he became shy and quiet, unsure of just about everything. I hate seeing him so scared!

I had planned on staying through the orientation, but his teacher felt it best for me to leave. Although I know that she was correct and that he would come out of his shell more quickly without my presence, it was hard walking out the door.  

I went home and tried to convince myself that he was probably having a great time. I mindlessly ate half a jar of peanuts, flipped through the television channels, and tried to take a nap. Time seemed to move at a snail's pace!

Robby looked so scared when I left that I wasn't sure what to expect when I returned to pick him up. I found him seated at a table with new friends, coloring and chatting. He flashed me a huge smile, gathered his belongings and told his classmates that he would see them next week. As we walked to the car he declared that he loved the new school and that he couldn't wait to go everyday!

There is no doubt that the orientation was more difficult for me than Robby. I sat and worried about him the entire day. He spent the hours playing flag football, making new friends, and happily working on art projects. I am so happy that he likes his new school. Hopefully we won't shed anymore tears over school!

1 comment:

  1. The same thing happened to my daughter and I when she entered 1st grade. Tuesday was the first day on her first job as a kindergarten teacher. She was very nervous about it, and the night before I reminded her of that day so many years ago. She got through it fine, and was smiling when I dropped by the classroom to see how she was doing at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete