About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, December 09, 2013

First Snowfall

Yesterday morning Robby woke up to discover that the first snow of the season was falling. I wish I had a camera to capture the look of awe and excitement as he stood by the patio doors and watched the flakes fly through the air. Within a few hours, my little Koopa was bundled up and outside playing in the cold white fluff. 

Because it was a weekend, his friend from down the street was home. Rowan quickly came down and the pair played in the snow for hours. Most of the time I am out in the snow assuming the role of playmate. Because he had his friend, I was able to watch him make snow angels, sled and throw snowballs from the warmth and comfort of my living room.  Don't get me wrong, I love playing with Robby. But I certainly didn't miss slipping and sliding in the frigid cold!

While Robby and Rowan were playing, I spent the time baking treats to warm them up. After the first hour outside they came in to warm up by the fire. They stripped out of their multiple snow layers by the front door before warming themselves. After throwing the clothes in the dryer to prepare for the next snow round, I surprised the friends with warm peanut butter cookies and hot chocolate.

By the time they finished their treats and watched a Christmas cartoon, their snow clothes were dry. Scott and I worked in tandem to get them re-dressed to return to the winter wonderland. Again, they stayed outside for about an hour. They came back inside and their clothes were thrown into the dryer (again). This time while they were warming up they enjoyed meatball subs (and more hot chocolate).

This pattern repeated throughout the afternoon. By the time the sun was setting, the two had enjoyed seemingly gallons of hot chocolate, peanut butter cookies, meatball subs, pizza rolls, sugar cookies and brownies. Needless to say, Robby was exhausted but not terribly hungry when it was time for dinner!


No comments:

Post a Comment