About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, February 14, 2014

Snowy Valentine's Day

All told, the snowstorm dumped about 16 inches of fluffy white happiness in our yard. After putting off his pleas to play until after the heaviest bands of snow passed through the area, Robby and I bundled up and set out into the white abyss. The first item on his agenda, shoveling Mr. Bill's walkway, was accomplished in record time. I have to admit I was surprised how quickly he was shoveling, but I suppose the reward of sledding was enough motivation to get the job done.

Scott hopped on the tractor almost as soon as he woke up, anxious to start clearing as much snow as possible. Thankfully, he didn't delay the chore because the depth was nearly too much for the little John Deere to handle. After some trial and error, he was finally able to clear our driveway. As soon as he broke through the imposing mound of snowplow pushed snow, he drove his tractor up the street and freed all of our neighbors. It took him a few hours, but I know that he made everybody happy.

After Mr. Bill's walkway was shoveled, Robby and I spent almost two hours playing outside. Between the pregnancy, the depth of the snow (which made it laborious to try to walk) and my cold, I was barely able to keep up with him. Of course, he had the fun part of sledding (going downhill) while I was stuck with the Sherpa duty of hauling the sled back up the hill.  Although I thoroughly enjoyed my time with him, I was elated when I saw his friend trudging down the street towards our house. I was summarily dismissed to go inside to bake cookies and make hot chocolate almost as soon as his friend arrived. In this situation, I was thrilled to be displaced!

Today both boys are home again from school. I'm sure that Robby will spend much of the afternoon sledding and throwing snowballs. With the plowing done, I fully expect Scott to stay in his Angry Birds fleece lounge pants  as he watches the Olympics all day from the comfort of the couch.  I don't have the heart to throw a kink into his relaxation plans with a reminder that today is Valentine's Day. Unless they mention it during the Olympic coverage, I am not holding my breath on his remembering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment