About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Normal...

During the past week I have begun to worry about going into pre-term labor. My pregnancy with Robby taught me the difference between a Braxton-Hicks contraction and painful cramping. What I have been experiencing on an uncomfortably frequent basis was definitely not the typical Braxon-Hicks type contraction. I began to worry that something was awry.  Needless to say, I was extremely anxious before my OB/GYN appointment yesterday morning.

After talking with the doctor about my recent experiences, she promptly began the examination. I became concerned when she excused herself from the examination room to consult with another physician. I may not be a medical expert, but I am aware that seeking another professional opinion in the midst of an exam is never a good sign! 

I lay on the table covered with a paper gown while trying to maintain some sense of dignity with my legs in stirrups until both doctors returned. Having four sets of hands poking and prodding while I was in the most immodest position is not an experience I wish to relive! Finally, both physicians were in agreement.

Apparently my little baby has decided to lie down in utero. At this stage, he or she should be at least quasi-vertical to accommodate for the growing size and in preparation for childbirth. My little one is completely horizontal with the entire length resting on the bottom of my uterus. 

Right now we don't know if the baby is just comfortable and prefers to be prone or if he (or she) is bound in that position because of the umbilical cord. I have a sonogram scheduled for next Monday which will answer the question. In the meantime, as long as the baby keeps kicking and punching me, I am to assume that everything is fine.

Incidentally, it turns out that the baby lounging is also a contributing factor to my ongoing weight loss.  At this stage I am supposed to be gaining approximately one pound a week. Instead I am steadily losing at that same rate. So far I have lost over 30 pounds being pregnant. (Although in all fairness it is difficult to tell because of the large baby bulge at the bottom of my belly.) The doctors surmise that, in addition to my thyroid issues impacting my appetite, the baby's position is compressing the entire stomach. In other words, I am sporting a baby lap band at the moment.

While I'm happy to have answers about the painful cramping and weight loss, I am also frustrated. I wish that this would be a normal pregnancy! Of course, I also realize that "normal" is not part of our family vocabulary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment