About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Clear the Aisle

Despite my constant pleas, directives, demands and downright begging for clear pathways for my knee scooter, I am constantly kicking toys and maneuvering around obstacles just to get around the house. For whatever reason, I just can't get the boys to understand the importance of keeping things off the floor right now. I contemplated putting a trash bag in the basket of my scooter so that I could just pick up and throw away whatever toy or item was carelessly left in my path, but I quickly realized that kicking the items out of the way is much easier. Maintaining my balance while bending on my knee scooter is not an easy feat and would surely lead to a fall.

Instead of taking the time to pick up their clutter, I have perfected my technique to kick it all under the couch. During the past two weeks I venture to guess that a platoons worth of plastic army men have been declared AWOL because their Commander-in-Chief failed to have them retreat into their storage bin. Numerous pens, magazines, game CD's, one television remote and several batteries have all suffered the same fate. Although all of these items are small and seemingly benign, they all pose a hazard if I had run them over with my scooter.

The past few months have been difficult for all of us, and I am struggling to maintain my patience. I don't want to be the Mom and Wife who constantly complains and places demands. That being said, using the knee scooter is already difficult. Forcing me to maneuver around various items carelessly strewn through the house makes everything harder. I wish that I could get everybody to appreciate my situation without being labeled as a nag.

I realize that my immobility is inconvenient for everybody, but I find myself wanting to remind the boys that I am the one without her leg. I love them dearly, but I am fighting the urge to scream and throw everything which impedes my path. Being without my leg is difficult enough, I don't think that asking for an unobstructed way to the bathroom and kitchen is too much to ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment