About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, July 04, 2014

Fourth of July

Happy Fourth of July!!

Today will be laid back and quiet. Robby, Timmy and I have been at my Mom's for the past few days and Scott is due to arrive today. My Mom is throwing a family picnic on Sunday, so today will be spent cooking and resting up for the big party. 

I am hoping to be able to take Robby to see some fireworks, but this will only happen if we can find a location which requires minimal walking. I hate that so many of our summer traditions have been stymied because of my surgery. As far as I am concerned, I am ready to get my leg and start walking. Of course, my doctor might have a different perspective on the topic.

A few nights ago, while changing into his pajamas, Robby saw lightening bugs in the yard. He excited ran to me and asked me to come outside and help. Yet again I had to explain that I can't walk, but offered to watch him from the window. It breaks my heart not being able to do things with him!

Undeterred by my absence, he slung his bug box around his shoulder, stepped into his cowboy boots and ran outside. Unfortunately he never finished putting on his pajamas. I watched from the window as my little eight year old boy ran through the yard in nothing more than his Angry Bird underwear, cowboy boots and a bug box.

Seeing my naked little bug catcher outside, I realized that my current limitations are impacting me more than my family. Although he would prefer I be with him, Robby has adjusted well to our new arrangement. It is definitely harder for me to accept sitting on the sidelines watching the summer fun through the window. 

If we don't make it to the fireworks today I am going to try to shrug it off. I know that I will be better by Labor Day, and there will be more fireworks to see. This definitely isn't the summer I wanted, but it is the one I have so I'm going to make the best of it. It's the Fourth of July weekend, and we are going to have fun despite my surgery!

No comments:

Post a Comment