About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, July 03, 2014

Eleven Years

Eleven years ago today I started a new life. Scott drove me to the hospital with my left foot, disfigured by the constant pain I had been living with for five agonizing years. I did my research and took a leap of faith that my life would be better without the pain, even if that meant living without the limb.

The morning of July 3, 2003, was one of the scariest of my life. We didn't speak during the 2 hour drive to Baltimore; my crying was the only sound breaking the silence in the car. I was terrified of being an amputee, but I also knew that I couldn't live the rest of my life hostage to the pain from a defunct foot. I didn't know what to expect, but I did know that my life would be forever changed.

Opting to amputation was, without a doubt, the hardest decision I have ever made. The finality of removing a limb was petrifying, and I feared that I would live to regret the choice. After eleven years, I can honestly say that I am a happier and healthier person because I surrendered my foot. Amputating my foot allowed me to return to my life, and for that I will be forever grateful. 

Today is my Ampuversary! I'm not sad or mournful. Instead I am feeling reflective and content. If I hadn't made that brave decision eleven years ago, I wouldn't have the life I am living today. I have a wonderful husband and two amazing boys. I have a job which has become my passion. I have met amazing people and have had some surreal experiences, all because I am an amputee. Although I continue to have my struggles, today I am realizing that I am incredibly fortunate.  Happy Ampuversary to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment