About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, August 11, 2014

Wacky Week of Fun

My surgery is in a week and a half. While I am not looking forward to being gutted like a fish, I can say that I'm happily anticipating resolution. I'll be grateful  when this unfortunate circumstance is over. In the meantime, I want to try to concentrate on enjoying the last few days of summer.

We haven't done much in terms of fun since Timmy was born. The majority of Robby and Scott's summer vacation has been spent assuming the role of caretaker. While I appreciate their help, I feel guilty for robbing them of a fun vacation from school. Logically I know that my feelings of guilt are unwarranted but that doesn't keep me from feeling them. My not walking has been difficult on everybody bar Timmy, who seems content just lying in my arms while I'm sitting in the rocking chair. 

Unfortunately, the weather has cooperated with our downtrodden summer, keeping the pool tempting days to a minimum. Scott and Robby have escaped to the pool whenever the temperatures were hot, but the past few weeks they have only been one time. I can't remember the last time we have had such a cool  summer. They have spent the majority of their time meandering around the house and playing XBox.

After eight long weeks, I am finally mobile. Walking is exhausting because I have lost of lot of strength, but the pain has waned. Fatigue is something that is familiar and that I know how to control. I am done being still and am committed to building up my strength before the next surgery.

It's time we all start enjoying our summer, albeit shortened. We need to laugh and create some good memories before both boys return to the chaotic school schedule. Therefore, I am hereby declaring this the Wacky Week of Fun.

I have adventures planned for every day this week. Some are big, some are small, but all have the potential of receiving squeals and giggles of excitement. Scott knows a few of my plans, but I've even managed to keep a surprise or two secret. Considering that I'm not particularly good at keeping surprises to myself, especially when I'm excited, I am quite proud of myself.  I know that I can't pack a summer full of happiness in one week, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment