About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, March 20, 2015

Homecoming

Yesterday was incredibly difficult.  Saying goodbye to my Dad, for perhaps the final time during his life, was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I feel emotionally drained and I have no doubt it will take me several days to process the events of the past two weeks.  I am sure I will write about it again, but to be honest right now I am not in the proper frame of mind to relive the goodbye. 

I must admit though that it was wonderful to see my boys again.  Robby came running to meet me at the metro station.  He jumped into my arms, nearly knocking me off my feet. He hasn't given me a running hug in quite some time. I nearly forgot how to brace myself!

I was worried about Timmy's reaction, concerned that the two weeks away might have faded his memories of me. All of my worrying was for naught because it took him approximately 2.4 seconds to process who I was before a smile quickly enveloped his little face. My little Hamlet wouldn't let me out of his sight last night, happily crawling around after me wherever I went in the house.

It is wonderful to be home. I know that both my Mom and Scott made sacrifices so that I could spend the past two weeks caring for my Dad.  Scott really picked up the reigns at home, taking care of Robby.  My Mom took Timmy to her house and I know that he was well loved!  She went above and beyond yesterday, not only driving five hours round trip to return him to me, but she also prepared a full roast dinner for us to enjoy when I came home from the airport.

Despite the heartache, I went to sleep in my own home knowing that I was loved and supported.


No comments:

Post a Comment