About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Happy Birthday to Me

Today is my birthday. For the past 40 years I've eagerly anticipated the day of celebrating and doting. This year is different because for some reason I just don't care. The day doesn't feel special; and celebrating feels more like an inconvenience than a joy. 

I'm not upset about turning 41. I think I'm at the point in my life where I no longer care about the number. Aside from doctors, who are quick to point out middle age whenever possible, nobody has cared about my age since I turned 21. This year, my birthday just doesn't feel important.

Scott has never cared about his birthday, and I am beginning to understand his reasoning. He has always contended that the date made no true difference in his life, so he refuses to become fixated on a number. Not caring used to feel like such a foreign concept.  Surprising even myself, I am now echoing his sentiments. 

Having the Birthday Blahs doesn't mean that I am going to forgo celebrating altogether.  I'm looking forward to not having to cook dinner and to copious amounts of cupcakes for dessert.  After all, I may no longer require constant doting and celebrating, but a few perks are always welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment