About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Sad Koopa News

I am going to have a sad little Koopa at the end of July. His friend Jack, with whom he has spent every waking moment when he isn't in school or sleeping, is moving to Florida. Robby has been delighted to have a friend across the street, and it breaks my heart that this experience will come to an end. I have loved watching him grow, flourish and mature with his new friendship. He is going to be heartbroken when he learns the news.

Scott and I are working on the best way to break the news. We are going to be direct, yet try to spin it in a way that Robby embraces the fact that his friendship is changing not ending. The pair will still be able to play games and record videos, and communication is just a click away. I know that it won't be the same, but different doesn't have to mean bad. At least, that is the angle we are going to take when we talk with him. 

I was beginning the second grade when my neighborhood friend moved away. I vividly remember standing in my living room, and from my window,watching her drive away. We tried to keep in touch for a few years. We shared some letters, a few phone calls and even fewer sleepovers. I remember the last time I slept over at her house. I felt relieved when my Mom came to pick me up the next morning. Our friendship had changed into an awkward relationship bound only by memories. Who knows, maybe with Skype Robby's friendship won't experience the same fate. 

Upon hearing the news of the move, I immediately began to formulate a friendship triage plan. I know that I won't be able to completely shield Robby from the pain, but perhaps I can help to buffer the blow. Contrary to instinct, I am not going to overly encourage the pair to spend as much time together as possible. The last thing that I want is for Robby to become so friendship dependent that he feels lost when they are separated. Instead, I am going to gently encourage other friendships to blossom. From special day trips with school friends to cultivating relationships at the pool, this is going to be the summer of expanding friendships.  Hopefully strengthening Robby's circle will help to buffer the blow when his best friend moves away.


No comments:

Post a Comment