About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, May 27, 2016

Feeling Normal

True to the forecast, we went from bundling up in sweatshirts to wearing tank tops and turning on the air conditioning. Yesterday it reached 90 degrees, which was unseasonably warm for this area. After the three weeks of nonstop cold rain, I'm certainly not complaining about the warm temperatures. The boys were just as delighted, especially when I pulled out the water guns and sprinkler to help them stay cool in the afternoon.

I am delighted with the hot weather, although the sudden rise in temperatures was a bit of a shock to our systems. I happily dug out my shorts (and quickly shaved my leg) for the advent of our sudden summer. Timmy had a bit of a struggle adjusting to wearing shorts, he kept pulling at the fabric trying to get it to stretch over his knees.

It turns out that Timmy wasn't the only one to experience "short shock." After wearing jeans and pants for several months, I have become accustomed to blending in with everybody else. Walking around with my prosthetic suddenly visible, I was taken aback by the stares and curious glances. I felt like a sideshow attraction on display just walking down the aisles of my grocery store. Even though I knew the reason, part of me wanted to abandon my cart and hide from the attention.

I experience the "attention shock" on a yearly basis, and I know that it will be short lived.  In a few days I won't be phased by the attention, and it will become my new norm. In the meantime, I need to keep my head up high and act comfortable and confident. Soon I will no longer be acting, and I'll again feel "normal."

No comments:

Post a Comment