About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Minnie Mouse

Yesterday was a much needed day of housework and rest. We made a significant dent in the laundry and my house is looking less like a tornado swept through it. I won't go so far as to say that it is tidy, but it is definitely presentable. At this time in my life, as I try to wrangle a curious toddler who is constantly in motion, presentable is a victory.

In the afternoon I managed to carve out some time to take the boys to the pool.  Timmy splished and splashed for in the baby pool for two hours, giddy and happy to be back in the water. Robby and Jack played in the "big" pool, trying to surf on boogie boards and sword fighting with noodles.







The pool was quiet, which allowed me to overhear Robby and Jack playing and talking. The topic of their conversation was, errr, unique at best. Without cause, Robby asked Jack why Minnie Mouse didn't have boobs. This query prompted a two hour long discussion as they tried to reason a logical answer. The lifeguard found the conversation wildly entertaining. I could see him chuckling and smiling from his perch atop of the boys.

Storms rolled in in the evening, which sent my leg into a a vicious phantom pain cycle. I went from feeling fantastic to fighting off flashes of phantom stinging. I don't recall ever experiencing such a sudden onset of phantom pain. Typically I am afforded the luxury of a steady increase of pain over time. I wonder if the intensity was so strong and quick because I was dehydrated from the sun and pool? In any case, my wonderful day became miserable as soon as the rain moved into our area.

It took me a long time to get comfortable, and even longer to fall asleep. Thankfully I am pain free this morning, although I am feeling anxious about experiencing the same phantom pain again today. I'm going to make sure to drink water when I'm outside with the boys. I'm really hoping that it was an isolated event and doesn't become part of my new normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment