About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, July 17, 2017

Handling Insensitivity.

Last night Dave and I recorded our weekly podcast. Since January we have dedicated ourselves to maintaining a recording schedule, regardless of our personal situations. We have poured countless hours into researching and recording podcasts as well as creating and uploading new resources for the limb loss community.  Although it wasn't necessary, Dave's dedication to amp'd was reinforced by his determination to maintain our schedule while he is on vacation.  Yesterday evening he managed to escape his family fun for an hour to log onto wifi with the singular purpose of recording our weekly episode. 

Although we had a few technical hiccups, our newest episode was fun to record.  Suffering from political fatigue, we opted to focus on a lighter issue. We settled on discussing and comparing odd and/ or rude encounters with strangers concerning our amputations. As we were preparing to record we both noted one glaring reality: I have had more frequent and considerably ruder encounters than him. 

I hypothesize that strangers feel more comfortable approaching me with their judgmental rhetoric because I am a female. Dave is shielded from the direct verbal judgment simply because he is a male and looks more imposing. I invite you to listen to our latest episode.  (It's short, I promise!) 

After you have listened, drop me a note and let me know your reaction. What do you think of our female confrontation theory?  Have you had rude encounters with strangers, and why do you think these individuals felt compelled to confront you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment