About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, February 02, 2018

Blanket Fort

 I love my family, but I desperately need a break. Yesterday Timmy stepped on my laptop, cracking the screen. I surveyed the damage and locked myself in the bathroom to cry. The computer still works- sort of- but the touch screen feature is gone. I am investigating getting the screen replaced, but in the meantime I am going to have to make it work. I'm so tired of always making things work!

At this point I'm ready to call time of death on this entire week. If I didn't have children and responsibilities, I would be keen on building a blanket fort over my bed and hibernating from the world. I would curl up with my laptop, a mug of hot chocolate and a box of Girl Scout cookies. Nobody would bother me, and I would be able to binge watch Netflix in peace. Right now that sounds like the perfect vacation!

But I do have kids, and I am a realist.  I won't be able to hide because they would construe my attempt as a game of hide-and-seek with my blanket fort as a challenge. My fort would be dismantled quickly, with no care for the effort I invested building up my fortress. The blankets would be gleefully thrown, probably knocking over the lamp. Inevitably my hot chocolate would spill all over my computer and my clean pajamas. As I frantically try to save my computer, my cookies would be stolen. I would find the empty box with my little Timmy's crumb covered face grinning from ear to ear.

Alas, hiding is not in the cards.  Instead I will settle for a long bubble bath as soon as they all go to bed. Maybe I'll put Timmy's rubber ducks and plastic fish into the tub with me so I can pretend that I'm in the Caribbean ocean instead of my bathtub.  A girl can dream, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment