About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, February 15, 2018

Changing Today

Over the past three days I put a lot of miles on the car, but I failed to reach New Orleans.  Yesterday I packed up Timmy and headed back home. I remain disappointed that I never reached my destination, but I guess I'll have to cross New Orleans off my bucket list another time. Looking on the bright side, all of the reservations were cancelled and the flight was completely reimbursed. I was able to spend the night in a hotel, by myself, and received a $100 airline credit for the inconvenience. From that perspective, I kind of made out in the experience!

True to tradition, our Valentine's Day was low-key. Scott surprised me with flowers and a cake, and Robby made me a beautiful card. Because I had been driving dinner was comprised of leftovers. Nothing fancy, but it was nice to be home and to relax. None of us love Valentine's Day so I suspect I am safe saying that we are collectively relieved that the holiday is over.

Today I have an appointment to evaluate my ankle and another to check my ear. I've been having trouble with both so I'm hoping to find relief. I'm so tired of always hurting! I'm only 43, but waking up in the morning has become an evil game of pain roulette as I wait to discover what part of my body is going to hurt.  

In my heart I know the culprit of many of much of my pain. I've gained a lot of weight, and it is difficult to manage with a prosthesis. My limb hurts more than normal because it is being squeezed and contorted into a socket designed for an individual considerably lighter. My biological leg is bearing the brunt of the extra effort required to move. I need to make a change, and the change starts today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment