About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, March 26, 2018

Weight Loss Frustrations

In January I began to feel the physical manifestations of my excessive weight. My ankle was taking a long time to heal from a sprain because it was bearing the brunt of all of my activities. The back of my limb was sore from being squeezed into a too small socket on a regular basis. I was constantly achy and feeling worn out.

While I was not morbidly obese, I was too large for my own comfort. Looking into the faces of my boys, I knew that I need to make a change. I was struggling to keep up with Timmy.  Robby was counting on me to go on the Turtle Trek with him this summer, something I wasn't going to be able to do unless I slimmed down and became stronger. They both deserved a Mom who was as healthy and active as possible. I also realized that I was worthy of my own efforts, and that I deserved to feel strong and healthy.

Over the past few months I have shed nearly 30 pounds.  I am down almost four jean sizes, and I have discovered a renewed energy. My ankle has healed, my back no longer hurts and I am able to keep up with Timmy.  My weight loss journey isn't over, but I have definitely feeling good about my progress.  

Unfortunately, weight loss has one glaring drawback (and I'm not talking about cupcake deprivation.)  My prosthesis no longer fits correctly. My limb pistons and turns within my now too large socket. Changing pant sizes is a fun celebration.  Having to get a new socket due to weight loss is an exercise in frustration, especially with my insurance adjuster. 

I have been putting off getting a new socket until I was closer to my goal weight, but the delay is no longer a possibility. I have developed a bursa on the outside of my limb from the constant rubbing and twisting. On Friday night the marble sized knot swelled to the size of a tennis ball. I was in tears because the pain was so intense and angry that a healthy endeavor resulted in what felt like an ironic punishment.

 Thankfully the inflammation and swelling went down with ice and rest, allowing me to wear my leg throughout the weekend. With the boys on Spring break this week, I am going to take full advantage of the extra help around the house. Today I begin the process for a new leg, a frustrating but necessary step during a weight loss journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment