About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, May 09, 2018

Free Puppy?

After dropping off Robby at the gym, Timmy and I headed to the park to play. He squealed with delight as I turned into the park and took off running towards the equipment as soon as I unbuckled him from his car seat. I gathered up his balls, bottles of water and my cell phone and trudged behind him with full arms.

As soon as I stepped onto the playground mulch another Mom smiled broadly and screamed, "I just love you." At first I thought she was talking to somebody else (because I didn't know her) but soon it became clear that she was directing her conversation to me.  I was staking claim to a park bench as she continued to talk to me. 

"I just love you. I think it's awesome that you feel comfortable coming to the park without your real leg. You're just awesome." 

Meanwhile I'm just smiling and silently cursing the fact that I was wearing shorts. She said she had something to ask me, so I walked over to her. I assumed that she was going to relay her own connection to limb loss, or perhaps inquire about my prosthesis.  I was wrong.

"Let me ask you something. My friend's dog just had a litter of puppies. All of them are fine except for one that only has three legs. Poor thing, the puppy is just like you. I hope that they can find a loving home that will accept his little imperfections. Do you want a dog? I can call her now and the puppy will be yours."

As she is speaking my mind is processing. A stranger at the park just offered me a puppy because I am an amputee. Thank goodness Timmy didn't hear her offer!  

People are strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment