About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, February 14, 2019

Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day. 

In the hierarchy of holidays, this one ranks among one of the worst. On February 14th, there are rarely any winners.  When you are in a relationship there is pressure to profess a perfect love. When you are single you are often left feeling alone and unworthy. In reality, Valentine's Day is simply an opportunity to push pink hearts, cheap boxed chocolates and warped flowers at absurdly inflated prices. Scott and I decided a long time ago to wish each other a Happy Valentine's Day but to forgo the obligatory gifts and doting. The pressure to profess was just too great.

Although Scott and I don't really celebrate Valentine's Day, I did have fun preparing the boys for the holiday. Every day since the first week in January I have been leaving a new colorful heart taped on each of their bedroom doors. The heart noted something that I appreciated, admired or loved about each child. I was surprised by how much both boys loved discovering their new heart each day. Timmy has proudly shown everybody who has visited our home his decorated door. Robby, who is at an age where little overtly excites him, seems to enjoy reading his affirmation each day. 

My youngest Valentine woke up in the middle of the night, coughing and with a fever. Today will be even more low-key than normal. Instead of going to a playground or doing something special, we will stay at home. I'll try to bake some pink cupcakes, I'll put up the final heart on their doors and then we will call Valentine's Day complete. 

No comments:

Post a Comment