About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, January 06, 2020

Skating

Without a doubt, Timmy's favorite Christmas gift turned out to be a pair of roller skates. The skates were bought on a whim, after his fascination with Goofy roller skating during a scene of Twice Upon  A Christmas. I thought he would have fun and use them, but I never imagined that the skates would become a favorite possession.

This weekend was all about roller skating. We cleared the living room and hallways, set out cones and let him loose with skates. I worked a stop watch for hours as he happily skated through the house, trying to beat his time. He took quick respites only to eat and drink only to return to the thumping skating motions as soon as he was finished.  

Watching Timmy trod around on his skates brought childhood memories flooding back to me. I used to love to roller skate, probably as much as Timmy does now. I vividly remember going to the skating rink for matinee skates on Sunday, twirling around the rink listening to Funky Town and other disco era classics. I miss those days!

I would love to take Timmy to a roller rink, to rekindle my childhood experiences with my son. While I'm sure I could figure out a way to roller skate, the prospect of putting wheels on the bottom of a prosthesis terrifies me. I worry about balance, and the fear of falling is enough to keep me on the sidelines with this particular activity. 

As much as it saddens me, my skating days are behind me. I try to show the boys that I am not limited by my amputation, but I don't think that proving a point is worth broken bones. For now, I'll leave the skating to Timmy.

No comments:

Post a Comment