About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, March 30, 2020

Hives

The majority of our weekend was spent fretting and caring for Timmy. Friday night he began to break out in hives. By Saturday afternoon the "few spots" had grown and began to cover half his torso and back. On Sunday he was an itchy inflamed miserable little boy.

We did the best we could to provide comfort while treating the hives. Because they are probably due to his autoimmune disorder instead of an allergic reaction, our efforts were met with only minimal success. I hate seeing him hurting, and I become angry and frustrated when I acknowledge the cause.  

Because his treatments have been put on hiatus due to Covid-19, his little body is going haywire. I worry that this may only be the tip of the iceberg but I'm hoping for the best. Hopefully his responses will be limited to spontaneous hives, which are miserable but manageable.  

This morning his hives are starting to dissipate. His skin is no longer hot to the touch and he isn't complaining. Fingers crossed that we've turned the corner and that his immune responses stay minimal. At this juncture, it still isn't safe for him to physically see his doctors, and only minimal input can be received through telehealth. 

It's foggy and rainy (again) today, which is probably good because I want to keep my little Hamlet as calm as possible. I'm going to be pushing water and keeping him dosed on benadryl until the hives are completely gone. It looks like today is a great day to watch Paddington Bear (a new favorite), the Polar Express and The Grinch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment