About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, May 28, 2020

Biking

It wasn't nearly as sunny and warm, but that didn't stop Timmy from rewashing all of our cars. He spent another 3 hours with a sponge in one hand and the hose in the other, scrubbing and rinsing everything in sight. He had a great time, and the cooler temperatures did nothing to sway his resolve. 

In the evening we managed to squeeze in a long family bike ride through the neighborhood. I had a chance to try out my new bike, which is lower and features thicker tires for stability. The smaller frame also means that I can easily mount and dismount the bike from either side, which is a task I never thought I would be able to do.

I absolutely love my new bike! I have been a timid bike rider since my amputation. Because I can't go up on my tip toes, I have always had a fear of falling. If I started to lose balance on my prosthetic side, I always doubted that I would be able to catch myself in time. At my age, bicycle falls can quickly equate broken bones.  

My fear of biking hasn't stopped me from riding with the kids, but it has definitely robbed me of the carefree joy that others experience. Every moment I am on a bike I am constantly evaluating and worrying about falling. My new bike has remedied every fear. For the first time in my post-amputation life, I feel comfortable and safe when I'm riding a bike!

No comments:

Post a Comment