About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, July 10, 2020

Off Course

Yesterday's road trip to Ohio was, without a doubt, the longest and most frustrating driving adventure of my life.  For comparison, when I was younger our car broke down in the middle of the Florida Everglades in August. Sitting in the van yesterday, I longed for those times on the side of a swampy road. 

Our 7 hour drive morphed into nearly 10, with no stops for food or breaks. The boys were troopers, barely complaining (although it would have been understandable) as we meandered through the back woods of West Virginia desperately trying to find an interstate.  Sometimes Waze is fantastic. Other times, like yesterday, its shortcomings become frustratingly clear.

Waze plotted out a new route to Ohio, which excited Scott because he was eager for a change of scenery on the long drive. Unfortunately, Waze diverted us through a National Forest in West Virginia, where reception was spotty. As we plunged deeper into the woods, eventually we lost all connection to both civilization and our app.  

Thankfully we knew the directions (I anticipated losing connection when I looked at the route) but I didn't expect our road to be closed.  We continued on the only route available hoping that the forest would open and that cell reception would return.  It took nearly an hour for us to regain our orientation, and by that point we were completely off course.  

Sometimes technology is great, but only when it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment