About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, December 03, 2020

International Day of Persons with Disabilities

After Tuesday's Gingerbread Man fiasco, I was delighted to make it through yesterday's Circle Time unscathed. Timmy participated but he didn't say or do anything inappropriate or embarrassing. I never imagined that I would have such a skewed yardstick to measure a "successful" class. Thankfully Circle Time is done for the week.  

Today is the International Day of Persons with Disabilities, a UN designated holiday designed to highlight the achievements of individuals within the community. I have often said it, but it worth repeating today. The best thing about being an amputee is the community. You will never find a more supportive and generous group of people, willing to drop everything to lend an ear or to help navigate through an issue. Living with a limb loss can be frustrating and annoying, but the community is nothing short of remarkable. 

People often ask me if, given a magical wand, I would change back to having both biological legs. When I first became an amputee, my answer would have been an emphatic yes. But as time has worn on and I have become settled in my life, I really don't think I would go back and change anything. 

While I am, at times frustrated as an amputee, I also know that my limb loss has shaped who I am today. I have developed friendships with some truly amazing people and I have had awesome experiences because of my amputee status. I am more aware and compassionate about the struggles and the needs of others because I am living within the disability community. My kids are being raised with daily examples of overcoming obstacles and adapting to situations because of my prosthetic use. Both of those skills will serve them well as they grow. 

So on International Day of Persons with Disabilities, I will celebrate everything that I have become because of my disability. Life isn't always easy, but nobody has a smooth path. Even though I have occasional phantom pain and prosthetic frustrations, I am truly lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment