About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Wet Leg

 After nearly 20 years as an amputee, this past week I had another first. When packing up the car to go to the water park, Scott and I had a colossal miscommunication when it came to my water leg. I put it next to the luggage to be stowed in the trunk, assuming that its purpose was obvious. Scott, in a hurry to get out the door, carefully put my leg inside the house for safe keeping. We were halfway to Great Wolf before we realized that I did not have my water leg.

My mind began to reel as I tried to figure out how I was going to navigate a water park in my everyday leg. The long drive and heavy traffic provided me ample time to process and to devise a plan. Once I got over the shock of not having the correct leg for the first time in 20 years, I began to accept plan B. 

I knew that my everyday leg is waterproof. Although using it in the pools was not ideal for a variety of reasons, I refused to allow the absence of my water leg to ruin our special getaway. Although I always find it annoying, I tried to psych myself up to accept the incessant leaking that will inevitably present every time I move for the next few days. 

It has been nearly 24 hours and my leg is still leaking. I am deliberately keeping my leg upright because when it tips over it always leaves a puddle of icky dirty water. Eventually, the leg will dry out. In the meantime, I'm trying to remind myself to not become frustrated with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment