About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, February 01, 2024

Intent to Retire

 Yesterday was a big day in our family. After 30 years of teaching (in the same school), he signed his 'intent to retire' paper. He has been counting down and dreaming of retiring for years so seeing his signature on that paper should not have come as a shock. Yet when he handed me a copy for the scrapbook I found my hand shaking. What had been so abstract is now very real, and I'm not sure I'm ready!

I am so excited for him, but this change terrifies me. In the next few months everything is going to be flipped on its head. I'm really struggling to embrace the adventure side of this situation because my instinct is to hide under my covers. Overwhelmed does not even come close to explaining how I feel. In six months Robby will be gone and Scott will be home all the time. We will be in a different house, in a different state, leading different lives. It all feels so scary but I know that the end result is going to be wonderful for our family. 

With Scott's signature on the bottom of his intent paper a domino of paperwork and tasks has been started. I think this is going to be a 'keep your head down and just knock things off the list' mentality if I want to keep treading life through the next few months. Between navigating paperwork for college and for retirement, I am in uncharted territory.

No comments:

Post a Comment