About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, March 13, 2024

26 years

 26 years ago this afternoon I took my last 'normal' biological step. This anniversary is always odd for me to remember because it is such a sad memory in so many ways. My heart always breaks as I remember the physical and emotional pain that I endured as my life was ripped to pieces over the ensuing months. 

In an instant I went from living my best life to navigating through an unscheduled detour without a map. The computer broke my foot, but it also completely rerouted my entire life. I can't help but mourn for the years I lost due to the seemingly never ending cycle of surgeries. It makes me sad that my carefree life was stopped so abruptly. It also makes me angry.

But 26 years have past and my life has firmly planted onto a new path. I love my life, my family and my career. I barely remember and can hardly relate to the young woman that I was stepping into that conference hotel. I suppose many people no longer relate to their youthful selves. Maybe I just have the 'luxury' of knowing the exact moment everything changed.

What is hitting me odd is that the number of years I have been living without my healthy biological limb now officially outnumbers the time I spent with my foot. I walked without pain for 25 years. I have been dealing with the ramifications of the injury for 26 years. Time moves so quickly!

Today I plan to keep busy. I don't really want to remember. Sometimes memories are overrated, especially when they make your heart hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment