About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Technical Repair

 Robby had his enrichment classes yesterday which means that I spent the majority of my afternoon in the car, driving him to and fro. Since it was Monday and his "short class," I opted to stay in the area and run some errands while he was at school. After swinging by Starbucks for an iced tea, I headed to the 3d print supply store. One of Robby's machines is starting to malfunction and we needed a simple replacement part. 

Although typically the technical arm of our family, Scott has avoided interacting with the 3d printers. Whenever there is a clog or another type of malfunction, Robby and I are the ones at the kitchen table taking the machine apart. I have become quite versed at troubleshooting and repairing these frustrating little machines. I'm not sure how I ended up wearing the 'repair woman' hat but here I am, living the dream.

Because I work with the machines everyday, I am quite competent picking up my own parts and supplies. Perhaps this is one of the reasons I was so annoyed when the sales clerk at the store kept encouraging me to "phone my husband to make sure I am picking up the right thing for him." Seriously? Assuming that a woman needs a husband to complete a technical repair is infuriating!

I remember being young and car shopping with my mom. Well, I remember going to the lot with her and her being refused a test drive until she came back with her husband. That was in the 1980s. This is 2024. We need to do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment