About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, November 23, 2009

Play Doh Mayhem!

I have tried to delay it, but those efforts proved futile. I knew that once it started, my house would forever be changed. Robby has discovered the joys of Play Doh.

Apparently Play Doh is one of the most magical things in the world for a three year old. Robby is enthralled by the soft clay, and it now occupies him for hours. He pulls out his Play Doh box several times a day and is eager to open the cans and start creating.

I am not sure which aspect of Play Doh is the attraction for Robby. I initially suspected the bright colors. However, the colors only lasted for an hour or two. After multiple extrusions through the toys, all of his colors blended into an unattractive baby poop brown. I find the shade disconcerting, but he doesn't seem phased.

Robby can spend hours making "hair." He loves pushing the clay through the various extruders, and seems just as surprised and excited by the creation of strands as he was on his first exposure. Lately his Play Doh hair strands have been morphing into snakes that attack Mommy. This is very funny for a three year old.

I am happy that Robby has found another activity that he enjoys. Play Doh has become a creative outlet for his active imagination. I don't mind being chased by clay snakes, nor am I bothered by continually "eating" his spaghetti and meatballs.

So then, what is my gripe with Play Doh?

Included in his Play Doh playset was the "chip" maker. This is another extruder toy. Robby twists the top of the hand-held wand, causing the clay to be pushed out of the bottom. A small cutter is constantly swinging along the bottom of the extruder, cutting Play Doh "chips."

Robby loves the chip maker. He eager grabs the toy and begins loading it with the baby poop clay. He then smiles and says, "chippies fly in Mommy's kitchen, high high up." Half inch ugly brown clay strips begin to rain down in the kitchen.

The Doh bits become stuck onto the bottom of shoes and socks, and are transferred onto the carpet. To add insult, I know that I am the culprit in the clay transfer. Robby has started to take off his shoes when he is done with the Play Doh because he wants the clay cleaned from the bottom. It is cumbersome to remove the shoe on my prosthetic, so I usually don't bother.

I have tried to put the chip maker away, out of his sight. Robby asks for it. I have tried to tell him that the chip maker went on "vacation." He then asks to go on vacation, and grabs his suitcase for "Bobby's house." (We went to my cousin Bobby's house this past summer when we went on vacation. It has made quite the impression.) I suppose I could draw a hard line and simply remove the chip maker, but I don't have the heart to do this.

I will continue to try to divert his Play Doh creativity to less aerial creations. I am going to have to take the time to clean the bottom of my shoe after playing because this is the easiest solution. In the meantime, does anybody know how to get ground in baby poop brown Play Doh out of white carpet?

No comments:

Post a Comment