About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Letting Go

Yesterday afternoon, desperate to escape the dreary rain and wanting to burn extra energy, I packed up Robby and headed to House of Bounce. He was thrilled to be returning to one of his favorite places. Truth be told, I was excited to be going as well--it's been awhile since I've bounced with my little guy. I even made sure to wear my "super slippy" pants to help me gain speed down the slides!

Being the only Bouncers when the doors opened, we began tackling the giant inflatables in earnest. We had slide races (he won), ran through the obstacle course and played a spirited game of tag in the birthday cake moon bounce. I was working up a sweat and having a wonderful time playing with my little boy.

After about 30 minutes another family arrived with a boy about Robby's age. I was hoping that Robby would play with the little boy, so I took a step back. Within minutes Robby looked at me and in a matter-of-fact manner said, "Momom, I don't need you anymore. I have a kid to bounce with. You can go sit over there (pointing to the coffee lounge)."

I realize that every parent's goal is for their child to become independent, social beings. I want Robby to make friends and play with his peers. Still, being ditched for the first time took me by surprise. Robby and I have always been bouncing buddies. I never sat in the coffee lounge. After all, I'm the fun Mommy, the one that the kids love to play with! My heart sank as I accepted my fate and sat on the couch.

Sitting on the couch, sipping coffee I realized that my little buddy was changing. He is growing up and no longer wants or needs me to be his playmate. He is flourishing in his new found independence. I am afraid that I am floundering.

Robby had a blast bouncing with his new friend, and that is what is important. I will figure out a way to let him grow up, but right now I want to bundle him up and keep him this age. I am dreading the day he tells me that I am not his "best buddy" and I hope that I'll be able to accept my demotion gracefully. In the meantime, I am trying to soak up every minute with him because, as he demonstrated today, he is starting to mature. I hate change!

1 comment:

  1. I've really enjoyed your blog so far! Don't worry- your little man will be 'back'. I figured out young that my disabled, zany grandma was the funniest, most imaginative playmate ever. It'll become a healthy balance, you won't be left behind altogether!

    ReplyDelete