About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Another Tragic Loss

This school year has been a difficult one for the staff and students at Scott's school. In the fall a student was murdered on his way home from school. Scott devoted a lot of time before, during and after school to help his students cope with the tragic loss of their friend and classmate. It was our hope that a "normal" feeling would return to the classroom after the semester was over and the new term started.

Unfortunately, things do not often happen as we anticipate. Last week, which was the first week in the new semester, Scott's students suffered another tragic loss. The parents of another student, also assigned to my husband's class, were brutally murdered in their home.

Last night I accompanied Scott to the double visitation for the victims of this senseless tragedy. Scott spoke with his student in front of his parents caskets, trying to offer support, love and condolences. There are no words to soothe the kind of anguish and pain that the young man is feeling.

I stood outside the funeral home with Robby as I watched scores of high school students, teachers and community members file into the building. I was struck by how many teenagers were present. It warmed my heart to see him surrounded and embraced by so much compassion and love from his classmates.

Scott's student told him that he plans on returning to school next Tuesday. He is going to have a difficult transition, but returning to the normalcy of school will be beneficial. I hope that the student body continues to support this young man as he grieves an unimaginable loss.

1 comment:

  1. My heart breaks for all people involved. How tragic and awful. It can be such a scary world out there with evil lurking so close to home.

    ReplyDelete