About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, February 18, 2011

Selective Hearing?

Sometimes I wonder if I am talking into a void when addressing Robby. He has an innate ability to tune me out, especially when I am presenting him with a chore or demand. I feel as if I am constantly repeating the same phrases, all the time hoping for a different result.

After finally managing to communicate with Robby that he needed to pick up his Legos, a simple request that took nearly an hour to finish, we were able to go outside to enjoy the warm temperatures. Mr. Bill was also taking full advantage of the nice weather by working on his yard. Robby saw him outside and immediately grabbed his shovel and went to "help." I took my loppers, which were bent, to see if he could straighten the blades so that I could work on the blackberry vines that are taking over our backyard.

After Robby and Mr. Bill finished shoveling the dirt out of his truck I inquired about straightening my loppers. Bill took them and, without looking, told me he knew the problem. "These loppers aren't American made. They are made in China and are a piece of crap." He then proceeded to explain that I should always buy American tools because everything else is "crap."

From half way across Mr. Bill's yard, Robby put his shovel down and took off sprinting. He returned with his prized yellow hammer that he received for Christmas. "Mr. Bill, is this hammer American or is it a China made piece of crap?" I spent the morning trying to get Robby to hear me about his Legos, yet he seemed to have no problem understanding our conversation from afar. (Thankfully Mr. Bill lied and told him that his hammer was a quality tool.)

After an afternoon of lopping blackberry bushes and helping Mr. Bill in his yard, I was ready to relax for awhile. I loved being outside, but I was tuckered out. Apparently Robby was also tired. He sat down on the couch, looked at me and said, "I'm pooped. I can't wait to take off this stupid leg and chill out." He then proceeded to try to pull his foot off.

Robby didn't hear me as I instructed him to clean his toys, yet he heard every word that wasn't spoken to him when I was talking to Mr. Bill. I'll ask him to put the cat down and I don't get a response. A few days ago I mentioned to Scott that I wanted to take off my leg and relax, and Robby apparently absorbed every word. Strange how this selective hearing works!

1 comment:

  1. my house is full of selective hearing--sometimes I repeat myself to make sure I hadn't somehow miraculously picked up another language like Japanese or something and maybe they don't understand the language I'm speaking...

    ReplyDelete