About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day

The first year that Scott and I were together, he warned me at the beginning of February that he hated Valentine's Day. I, optimistic and in love, didn't believe that anybody could really detest the day that much. On February 14th, he arrived home late from work and presented me with Easter candy. (I surmised that 7-11 ran out of heart shaped confections.)

Our second February together I did not receive candy, flowers or a card. I was given a sheet of notebook paper, torn into pieces. Scott claimed that he "made me a puzzle." For subsequent years I abandoned all hopes of being surprised by romantic gestures on February 14th and typically tried to avoid thinking about the holiday.

Since Robby was born, my love for all things Valentine's Day has been resurrected. I relish passing on the traditions from my childhood- we will spend the day making heart shaped cookies, and for dinner, I will make pink mashed potatoes. And sometime that evening, the Valentine Boogie will make his yearly appearance.

The Valentine Boogie has been a fixture in my life for as long as I can remember. When we were little, small boxes of candy and toys would miraculously appear on our beds on Valentine's Day. Although he has never been seen, the treats were credited to the "Valentine Boogie."

Sometimes the Valentine Boogie would become sidetracked and wouldn't show up on February 14th. After all, he lacks the reindeer and elves that are integral to Santa's speedy success! The Valentine Boogie is, for all intents and purposes, a one-man operation. However, when he arrived on February 15th we received a lot more candy. (It wasn't until I was adult did I realize that the copious amounts of candy gifts was because the Valentine's Day items were marked down on February 15th.)

The Valentine Boogie has been visiting our house every February since Robby has been born. This year he is eagerly anticipating the "Big Boogie's" arrival. He even asked Mr. Bill if he was excited about the Valentine Boogie. Mr. Bill, a little confused by the question, simply said, "Yes," and asked Robby to pick up more sticks.

Whatever your Valentine's Day traditions, I hope that it is a memorable one. I am going to have a great day "helping" the Valentine Boogie leave surprises and treats around the house. Robby told me that I am his "best buddy Valentine" and gave me a hand drawn card of the two of us under a rainbow. I don't need flowers and candy today; I already received the best present ever!


Personalize funny videos and birthday eCards at JibJab!


Personalize funny videos and birthday eCards at JibJab!

1 comment:

  1. love the jib jabs!! Happy Valentines day, wish I'd known about the valentines boogie--but since my youngest are 13, I doubt I could pull it off now, especially with feeling sick all weekend and my one guy needing his tooth worked on today--so I gave them all valentines a day early after I was able to stagger through the grocery store lol

    ReplyDelete