About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Birthday Robby!

Dear Robby,

Happy Birthday to the sweetest little boy in the world. I wish I could put into words how much I love you. Unfortunately I don't know the words to convey how much you mean to me. All I can say is that I love you, though it seems woefully inadequate.

It is hard to believe that today you are 5. You are growing up so fast that it is making my heart hurt. I wish that time would go slower just so that you would stay little just a few days longer. You are so proud of your "big boy" status, but you will always be my little baby.

Didn't I just bring you home from the hospital? Do you remember the seemingly endless fits of colic that kept us both sleep deprived? I know that you don't remember my rocking you to sleep--but I will never forget how you felt snuggled on my chest.

I have a video of you taking your first steps. Your little arms were held out in front, reaching for me to catch you if you fell. Now you run so quickly that you are hard for me to catch. But I will always be there to pick you up when you fall.

Your first word was not Mom or even Dad. It was egg, followed quickly by meow and Scott. You didn't say Mom until you had mastered about 100 words. Although my name came late, hearing you say, "I love you Momom because we are best buddies" always makes me smile, no matter how bad my day!

You love nature and insects. The truth is, I hate bugs, reptiles and fish. Yet several hours a week I am out in the yard, searching for these critters with you. I do it because it makes you happy. Seeing you excited and learning makes me happy. I would do anything for you Robby, and I hope that you know this!

Robby, I am so proud to be your Mommy. You demonstrate a sense of compassion towards others which is both admirable and brave. Several times I have witnessed you intervene on behalf of a playmate in need who was being bullied or pushed around. I see the pain in your eyes when you hear or see somebody being picked on. Despite differences in both age and size, you showed no hesitation and acted because it was the right thing to do. I hope that you will always remain confident in your convictions and your willingness to help others.

You have such a unique perspective on the world. My changing legs, adjusting suction or slipping on socks is your "norm." I hope that you will always be this understanding and accepting.

Happy Birthday Pirate Robby. You are a smart, kind and compassionate little boy. I am lucky to be your Mommy, even in your Robby Rotten moments!























Every year on Robby's birthday, we take a family photo at 2:10 pm, the precise time he was born.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Robby!! That's a cool idea to take a pic at the exact time he was born. I always tell my kids the story of their birth, although sadly I can't for the twins since they are adopted--but I'm working on ways to talk about how our hearts were matched up and we all became a forever family, a way to give them a story for their birth. Enjoy the day!!!

    ReplyDelete