About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, May 28, 2012

Happy Memorial Day!

Happy Memorial Day! I have to admit that this is one of my favorite holidays. I love any celebration where friends and family can gather without spending an obscene amount of money on gifts. Warm weather, burgers, corn on the grill, and making s'mores over the fire pit is how I plan to spend my day!

Of course I realize that Memorial Day is not simply about barbecues and picnic fun. This is also a solemn day to honor the sacrifices made by our military. I have been fortunate enough to visit Walter Reed on many occasions throughout the years, and with each visit, I leave a changed person. I am in awe of the strength and courage that is shown by our men and women in the military. Looking at the young faces on battered bodies leaves me with an overwhelming sense of debt and gratitude. I simply don't possess the courage that is demonstrated by members of our armed forces on a daily basis.

During the past few days my Pop (maternal grandfather) has been on my mind.  He spent his career in the Air Force serving during World War II, the Korean War, and the beginning of Vietnam.  It was only when I became older that I realized the magnitude of his sacrifices.  I can't imagine packing up my family every few years because I was obligated to "follow orders." Leaving my spouse to fight a war in a foreign country, not knowing if or when I would return home requires a sense of sacrifice that I am not sure I would be able to muster.

A few nights ago I had a dream where my Pop was hugging me. In my dream I told myself to remember the feeling of his embrace because when I woke up he would be gone again. I felt like a little girl, so safe and loved as I was wrapped up in one of his bear hugs. When I woke, I immediately closed my eyes trying to recreate his presence. I wasn't successful, but his hug, while it lasted, felt wonderful.

My Pop was an amazing man and, although he has been gone for nearly 20 years, I still mourn his passing. I am a better person because he was a part of my life. Today I will be thinking about my Pop and about all of the men and women who have passed away during or after their service to our country. Happy Memorial Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment