About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, November 08, 2012

Skating

Last week we decided, for a variety of reasons, to put Robby's swim lessons on a permanent hiatus. I called his swim school to withdraw him only to be informed that I was paid through the month of November. Since I hate to pay for services that aren't used and refunding our money was not an option, Robby will continue with his classes through November. For the next few weeks we will have a busy family schedule as we chauffeur Robby between swim and ice skating!

Robby began skating lessons on Monday, and he was thrilled to be back on the ice. I could see his ear-to-ear grin from across the rink! I stood at the side of the ice, freezing my bum off, watching him slide (and fall) for an hour. He never complained, and the smile never left his face. When my little sweaty, red cheeked boy climbed off the ice, he gave me a hug and told me that he had a great time and can't wait to come again.

We have skating once a week, but Robby is already begging to go back to the rink. He was provided with a pass for all open skate sessions and is eager to practice his "snowplow stops." Unfortunately he needs to have an adult skate with him. Neither Scott nor I can skate.

I despise not being able to do things with Robby because of my amputation. I realize that some amputees are able to skate and ski without an issue. That being said, the thought of strapping a thin blade of sharp metal on the bottom of my prosthetic and trying to maneuver a smooth sheet of ice terrifies me!

I don't want my own anxieties to stop me from trying new things, and I certainly don't want my fears to impact Robby. However, so much of remaining upright on skates depends upon ankle strategies. Lacking an ankle and prior skating experience, I am doubtful that I would emerge from the rink without at least one broken bone.

Not feeling comfortable with an activity because of my prosthetic is extraordinarily rare. I have always been able to accommodate any activity with my prosthetic. I am not one to give up, so (with the help of my mom) I've devised a creative solution.  After some research and a few brainstorming sessions with Mr. Bill, we are going to convert the pool platform into an ice skating rink. Mr. Bill is going to build a rim around the platform, and I will lay thick plastic sheeting. After everything is smooth and the platform is flooded, all we will need is a strong freeze. Voila, we will have our own ice rink for Robby to practice his skills.

Not only will he be able to skate, but also I'll be able to help him with his skills. Where it is frowned upon to wear traction shoes at the ice rink, I can do whatever I want at home! I can wear my ice grippers for stability, climb onto the ice and lend him a hand whenever he needs it.

I have figured out a way to engage with Robby in a beloved new activity while remaining safe! As an added bonus, we'll finally be purposing the gigantic platform that has sat idle in the middle of our backyard.since the pool debacle. All we need is a hard freeze and we'll be skating!

No comments:

Post a Comment