About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Walk On

Yesterday for the first time in a week, the sun was shining bright against a beautiful blue sky. The frigid temperatures have eased giving way to a warm weather reprieve. Wanting to make the most of the opportunity, I decided to try something I have been hesitant to attempt: I went for a walk through my neighborhood.

In the autumn I rediscovered walking around the development. I found myself looking forward to grabbing my cell phone, tuning into Pandora and going on an afternoon stroll. I quickly realized that they were not only good for my body but also were perhaps more beneficial for my mind and spirit. Each day I finished my walk feeling better, more energized, and happier than when I started.

It is amazing how quickly everything can be turned awry. When I fell in November, my daily routine changed. The injuries to both of my legs kept me in constant pain, and I was left with no choice but to relax and hope for a quick recovery. During this time, I not only had to physically heal but also had to learn new ways to deal with my stress. Exercise and walking, which had been my outlet, were suddenly not feasible.

Needless to say, the past few months have been difficult but my legs are finally feeling better. I can't say that I am 100% healed, but I am walking without pain and the only reminders of my fall occur when I am walking on steps or when I am tired at night. Although I didn't attempt to walk my entire route, it felt great to return to my pre-injury routine. Slowly but surely I am finally beginning to see the light at the end of this tunnel!

No comments:

Post a Comment